In the meantime, the nose ring became popular amongst young girls - I remember a period of about 5 years between 1999-2004 where it felt like every third girl had the same piercing. Since then, I believe the trend has faded - I don't see it on many people anymore...but I still continue to wear mine simply because I like it. I never did it as a fashion statement or to be proud of a crowd, I genuinely liked the look of a nose ring!
Recently, a few people have asked when I'm going to take it out? Take it out? Why??? I asked. I've never really thought about if/when I'll take it out. Over the past 15 years I feel like it has become a natural part of my face that I don't even notice anymore. Well, here are some responses I received when I asked why:
1. It's a "young" look - meaning I'm almost 27, it's about time I grow up and take the face accessory off.
2. It looks like you're stuck in the last decade - meaning no one really has a nose ring anymore, let go of the trend and move on. Mind you, I don't wear it for the trend, I wear it because I like it and now I'm very used to it!
3. It's not professional - those conservative, corporate types wouldn't appreciate it and when I start having more face-to-face meetings with clients it may be perceived in a negative way. Keep in mind though, that I've gone through job interviews and have met some fairly high profile people who haven't seemed to care (that I know of).
4. It's very Indian - not that there's anything wrong with looking Indian, but if that's not the look you're going for, you should take it out. Or so I've been told.
5. It's not very classy - no justification for that one. It was just a statement.
So I've thought about this for some time now, and while I am not totally ready to let go of it, I've decided to give the bare-nose a try:
It was REALLY weird to look at myself at first. It felt like something was missing and I was caught off-guard every time I looked in the mirror. But as the days went by I got more and more used it. I have to admit, I'm now actually liking the look with no nose ring. It feels a little more grown-up and professional, it also shows more of ME. MY face. I know it sounds silly that a such a small stud can make a difference, but it really does! Although...not one person that I interact with on a daily basis noticed the change until I pointed it out. I guess it just became such a normal thing to look at when people saw my face. Anyway, the point is that I kinda like my face without the piercing.
BUT like I said earlier, I'm not totally ready to let go of it, so I wear it at night to make sure the hole doesn't close any time soon.
So here are my questions to you:
Do you have a nose ring/face peircing? If yes, how long have you had it? Do you intend to take it out? Why? When?
What do you think of nose rings?
Do you agree with any of the arguments against the piercing that I mentioned above?
Do you agree that it's time I take it out?
I'm looking forward to hearing your feedback :)